1. You are not perfect. You will make mistakes and they will line your mind like dominions, which will fall into each other in the middle of the night. You will feel guilt. But it is important to let those feelings go and go to sleep.
2. You will get really drunk once. Your head will hurt the next day for hours and you’ll feel stupid when you wake up in your party dress. You’ll realize that drinking didn’t make you cool.
3. You’ll try a cigarette. It will be beautiful, the way the smoke drifts in the wind on a cold winter night, watching the world from a balcony. But you’re not watching the world, you’re watching a small neighborhood where all your friends smoke. Your health is better than seeming beautifully mysterious. You can shine like the sun without smoke obscuring your face and lungs.
4. Your heart will get broken, you will break someone else’s heart. But you will heal from both, and you will find the kind of love you’ve been looking for.
5. You will look into the mirror and accept your body, and all its so called flaws. You will still have days where you feel awkward or unattractive, but you will also have days where you feel beautiful.
6. Be kind to homeless people. Talk to them and offer them a warm drink or snack from a near by shop. Get to know them and you’ll find yourself.
7. Don’t buy the shirt just because everyone else thinks it’s cool. Go with yourself.
8. If your parents are kind enough and able to pay for your education, thank them. You are eighteen it is not their responsibility, it is their gift to you.
9. Take at least one Creative Writing course in college.
10. Travel as often as you can. Even if it’s just to another city an hour away. See even the small, seemingly insignificant parts of the world.
11. Every picture looks better in black and white.
12. Buy the concert tickets. You never know if the band will break up.
13. Sometimes a weekend in your room with a good book is better than forcing yourself to go out and be social. Take time for yourself, but don’t isolate yourself from the world.
14. Get up early and watch the sunrise on the beach as often as you can.
15. Your family members will judge you, your friends will judge you, but you need to follow your moral compass and what makes you happy.
16. Dye your hair the color you want it at least once.
17. Some clothes don’t photograph well, but knowing you looked amazing in that outfit will always be worth more than the posting the picture on Instagram.
18. Your friends that you had in high school will drift from you and you will drift from them. It is a natural part of life. You are under no obligation to stay friends with people who do not uplift you.
19. You will change the most from 15-20. You won’t recognize yourself from high school. It is important to learn from the past, but do not dwell on it.
20. You will be happy, scared, and ready to take on the rest of your life.
Twenty things I learned before twenty
Colleen Michele(via thatstoomainstream)